The Clark County School District is working with employees, families, students and our community to determine:
- Should CCSD develop a standalone policy specific to providing a safe and supportive learning environment for gender diverse students?
- If not, should CCSD develop language for the administrators' handbook on how to provide a safe and supportive learning environment for gender diverse students?
We have created a Gender Diverse Working Group that includes representatives of families, community members, and CCSD staff and students, to examine existing policies and guidelines in other districts.
- Read the recommendations from the working group that CCSD develop a written policy and/or guidelines on how to ensure gender diverse students are safe and respected, plus possible topics that could be included in written guidelines
- Take a survey (English or Spanish) on whether CCSD should develop written guidelines, and what topics might be included in written guidelines
Here is a list of documents the Gender Diverse Working Group considered when making its recommendations:
- Washoe Administators Guide Language
- CCSD Policy 5137 - Safe and Respectful Learning Environment: Bullying and Cyberbullying.
- Minnesota Guidelines
- Ed. Article: Goodwill Not Enough
- NYC Department of Education Guidelines - Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Student Guidelines
- LAUSD Policy Bulletin - Transgender Students - Ensuring Equity and Nondiscrimination
- U.S. Attorney General Memorandum - Revised Treatment of Transgender Employment Discrimination Claims
- Judge sides against parents who want to ban transgender students from locker room in District 211
- Schools In Transition - A Guide for Supporting Transgender in K-12
- 3 students join transgender lawsuit against Boyertown district
- Privacy, Parental Notification, and Free Speech in California Public Schools
- Safe Bathrooms FAQ
- Student Records Letter
CCSD will compile public input on the Gender Diverse Working Group's recommendations submitted via the public input meetings and the survey. CCSD staff will present that input to the Trustees and ask for additional guidance in January, 2018.
CCSD held 5 public input meetings in December in an effort to provide members of the community an outlet to provide feedback on the draft recommendations presented by the Gender Diverse Working Group. The following town hall meetings were recorded and can be viewed at the links below:
- Gender Diverse Public Meeting: Durango High School 12/01/17
- Gender Diverse Public Meeting: Western High School 12/02/17
- Gender Diverse Public Meeting: Eldorado HS 12/05/17 (No video available)
- Gender Diverse Public Meeting: Silverado High School 12/06/17
- Gender Diverse Public Meeting: Cimarron Memorial High School 12/07/17