Skip to main content
Have A Question? Contact Us At 702-799-CCSD
department avatarFood Service Department

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Who can receive free or reduced price meals?  All children in households receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) can receive free meals regardless of income.  Your child can also receive free or reduced price meals if your household’s GROSS (before deductions) income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.
  2. I received a notification of benefits, do I need to fill out a new application? If you received a notification from the CCSD Food Service Department for the 2018-2019 school year confirming your child’s eligibility, do not complete an application. If there are other children in your household who did not receive a notification, please contact the Free & Reduced staff at 1-800-819-7556.
  3. My child was approved last year. Do I need to fill out a new application?  Yes.  You must complete a new application each school year to determine your child’s eligibility. If your child received meal benefits the previous school year, they will continue to receive those benefits up to the first 30 operating days of the new school year. When a new application is completed, the new status will override last year’s status. An incomplete application will be denied.
  4. Can I apply online?  Yes!  You are encouraged to complete an online application at instead of a paper application if you are able.  The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application.
  5. Do foster children qualify for free meals?  Yes. Foster children are considered categorically eligible for free meals when a household completes the meal benefit application with the foster child option checked or when the state or local agency submits the required documentation that indicates the status of the child.
  6. Can homeless, runaway, or migrant children receive free meals?  Children in your household who meet the following descriptions are eligible for free meals:  lacking a permanent address, living in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangements, family relocates frequently.  If you have not been notified by the CCSD Food Service Department that the children will receive free meals, contact the Homeless Advocate at each child’s schools or the Title I HOPE Office at (702) 855-6682.
  7. I receive WIC, are my children eligible for free meals?  Children in households participating in the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program may be eligible for free or reduced price meals.  Please submit an application to determine eligibility.
  8. My family needs more help.  How do we apply for SNAP or similar programs?  Please contact State of Nevada at (775) 684-4000.
  9. Do I complete an application for each student?  Only one application is necessary per household.  All students in your household must be included on the application, even if the children attend different schools.
  10. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?  Yes.  You, your children, or other household members do not need to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced price meals.  CCSD Food Service does not release information for immigration-related purposes.
  11. What if my income changes frequently or is not always the same amount?  If your earnings are not always the same, list the gross amount (before deductions) that you normally receive.  Include regularly received overtime, but do not include overtime if you only receive it occasionally.  If you have lost a job or have had your hours/wages reduced, use your current income.
  12. What if some household members have no income to report?  Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all.  Whenever this happens, please write a “0” in the field.  However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes.
  13. How do military families report their income?  The following must be reported as income:  Basic pay and cash bonuses. Cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, clothing, or Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance (FSSA) payments.  Excluded income:  Military Housing Privatization Initiative Allowance and additional combat pay resulting from deployment.
  14. What if there isn’t enough space on the application for my family?  List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application.
  15. If I do not qualify right now, may I apply later?  Yes.  You may apply at any time during the school year.  For example, if you or a household member suddenly becomes unemployed or benefits expire.
  16. Will the information I provide on the application be verified?  Yes. By submitting an application you agree that the information provided may be selected for verification, in which proof of income must be reported.
  17. What if I disagree with the status of my processed application?  Please contact the CCSD Food Service staff at 1 (800) 819-7556 to discuss the application details and/or request a hearing. You may also write to the Director of Food Service at the following address: 6350 E. Tropical Parkway, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89115.